Monday, November 17, 2008

Irish Book Feature



I have two wonderful books to recommend: Alphie McCourt's A Long Stone's Throw (full disclosure, Alphie is my husband's uncle), he just came out with his first novel, it is a great read, very witty. And at his book reading last week, I met the fabulous Mary Pat Kelly, who also has a book out (February 9), entitled, Gallway Bay. So, if you want to get some Irish reading in, these are the two must haves for 09!

The youngest of the McCourt brothers, after Frank, Malachy and Michael, Alphie McCourt grew up in Limerick, Ireland and immigrated to the U.S. in 1959. He has lived in Canada, Dublin, Ireland, and in California and has spent a good part of his life in the restaurant and bar business. His pieces have appeared in The Washington Post, The Villager (New York), The Limerick Leader and in Icons Magazine.

Mary Pat Kelly is an award-winning author and filmmaker:
To Live for Ireland (PBS); Special Intentions; Good To Go: The Rescue of Scott O’Grady from Bosnia; Martin Scorsese: The First Decade; Martin Scorsese: A Journey; Home Away From Home: The Yanks in Ireland; Proudly We Served: The Men of the USS Mason, and the feature film, Proud.  Mary Pat Kelly has served as an associate producer on Good Morning America and on Saturday Night Live. 

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I love a good book recommendation! These look interesting and are perfect for my Irish sister in law!

hello gorgeous said...

That's so funny. I was going to say "any relation to Frank McCourt?" Actually, I've never read "Angela's Ashes" but quite some time ago I read one of Malachy McCourt's books which I don't recall the name of but I remember liking it.

I'll have to check this out but I already have a pile, as it is.

Michelle Parks McCourt said...

Malachy is my father in law. Big lovely Irish family.

hello gorgeous said...

There is nothing like a big Irish family. We are still part of our old neighbors' big lovely Irish family and we haven't lived there for years.

Cool! The Malachy book I loved was "A Monk Swimming." He'd be like, "A Monk Swimming? I wrote that a decade ago!" Heh. Looks like I have some catching up to do... :-)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...